Bhasm Abhishek or Rudrabhishek with “Bhasm” (also known as Vibhuti, the sacred ash) is a form of worshiping Lord Shiva in his Rudra avatar, in which Shivalinga is bathed with Bhasm, which is constantly sprinkled over the deity, along with chanting of Vedic mantra called the Rudra Sukta also referred to as Rudri Paath.
The Sanskrit word “vibhu” means supreme or eternal, and thus refers to God. Vibhuti is associated with God and indicates divine power and its various manifestations. “Bhasma” in common parlance refer to sacred ash, obtained out of sacrificial fire. It represents impermanence, the transient nature of material things, and indicates purity and the ultimate truth.
Bhasma Abhishek is performed to invoke the blessings of Lord Rudra, the most ferocious form of Lord Shiv. Performing this puja is ideal to eradicate and overcome any obstacles you might come across in your life, attain wealth and peace. Lord Ram did Rudrabhishek at Rameshwaram to invoke Lord Shiva’s blessings before going to war with Ravan.
Both Bhasma and Abhishekams are the favorites of Lord Shiva, and, hence, a Bhasm Abhishekam, the abhishekam done with Bhasma, is very dear to him. This remedy involves the gentle and ceremonial pouring of holy ash over the Shiva Linga amidst the chanting of Rudri Paath, till it is fully covered with Vibhuti.
Performing a Bhasm Abhishekam and offering prayers to Lord Shiva will get for the devotees the Lord’s divine blessings and will help destroy the greatest of sins that are acquired around all previous and current births.
Bhasma Abhishek is performed by invoking Lord Rudra followed by the chanting of Rudra Sukta Mantra and simultaneously performing Rudrabhishek.
Benefits of :
- Rudrabhishek minimizes the malefic effect Nakshatras and in turn, makes them beneficial.
- Prevents untimely incidents, accidents and bestows one with sound health, both physical and mental.
- Eliminates Karmic doshas and protects one from evil eye and negative energy.
- Bestows one’s family with peace, harmony, and prosperity.
- Attain wealth and success in all spheres of life.
- The unique aspect of Bhasm Abhishek, it helps attain ultimate peace and tranquility both inner and outer, thus rendering ultimate joy.
Rudri Paath is a set of 8 chapters of Vedic shloka/mantras, together known as Rudrashtdhyayi,
- A single recitation of the entire set of 8 chapter is counted as One Avriti.
- One or Five Avritis are performed for a Abhishek (by 1 or 5 Shastris simultaneously)
- 11 Avrities are performed for RUDRA ABHISHEK. (11 Rudras and 1 Avriti for each Rudra, normally by 11 Shastris simultaneously)
- 11 x 11 Avriti’s are performed for LAGHU RUDRA (Normally by 11 Shastri/Purohits over the course of 6 to 11 days)
- 11 x 11 x 11 Avritis (equivalent to 11 Laghu Rudra) are Performed for MAHA RUDRA. (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
Dry Prasadam including Vibhuti, Sindur, Mauli would be dispatched to the devotee upon completion of Anushthan.