Aditya Hridaya Stotra is a sacred mantra that was first taught to Lord Rama by Sage Agastya to invoke the power of the Sun, during his battle against Ravana. The Sun embodies life’s spirit and all living beings on our planet Earth owe their existence to its light and energy. The Sun exerts a powerful force on life through its placement in your birth chart, as its influence reverberates across all the nine planets.
The Sun symbolizes the soul in every aspect, reflecting the path of one’s destiny. Gain from the soul-sustaining planet by performing this hawan to invoke the blessings of the Sun and synchronize with this all-pervading entity. As the largest celestial body, the Sun forms the basis of Vedic Astrology and its placement in the birth chart exerts a tremendous influence in determining the course of one’s life. Aditya Hridaya Stotra chanting followed by a hawan invokes the cosmic energy of Surya to help combat difficulties and emerge victorious in struggles.
Aditya Hridaya is akin to the Gayatri Mantra – only more elaborate in the delineation of the “Supreme Effulgence’ (Varenyam bhargah) mentioned in the Gayatri. The Trikaal Darshi (one who can seen the past, present and future) sage Agastya was aware that Sri Rama was none other than Lord Vishnu. Nevertheless like as any human would be initiated into Gayatri by a Guru.
By the solemn chanting of this holy hymn all obstacles in the path of the seeker after eternal truth would be removed.
As per scriptures, performing the Aditya Hridaya Stotra chanting followed by Hawan (Homa) according to the procedures prescribed in Purana texts can bestow the following:
- Help overcome problems and hurdles.
- Bring victory in all ventures.
- Remove all negativity and doubts.
- Alleviate worry, sorrow, anxiety, and anguish.
- Bestow longevity.
- Confer happiness and prosperity.
- Dispel darkness and ignorance, both in Physical and Mental levels.
- Infuse power and energy.
- The Sun is effectively the universal illuminator. When chanted, the Aditya Hridayam illuminates one’s soul (destroys sins), one’s mind (instills clarity of thought), one’s heart (determination and confidence), and one’s body (a long disease free life)
- “Tejaskamo Vibhavasum” people desirous of Tejas-Aura around them, have to recite Aditya Hridaya Stotra. This is stated in Bhagavata.